Embracing the Future of Security With Cloud-native SIEM
As technology and cyberthreats continue to evolve, businesses must adapt their IT infrastructure and security strategies to stay ahead of the curve. Security information and event management (SIEM) plays a critical role in organizations’ security operations, and it needs to evolve as well, in alignment with adversaries’ methods.
In this first post of our series on cloud-native SIEM, we’ll examine the limitations of legacy SIEM, discuss the key features and benefits of cloud-native SIEM, and explore how embracing the cloud-native SIEM model can transform and simplify your security operations.
In this article:
- The challenges of traditional SIEM solutions
- The rise of cloud-native SIEM
- How cloud-native SIEM addresses the limitations of legacy SIEM
- Cloud-native SIEM and behavioral analytics
- Embracing the cloud-native model
The challenges of traditional SIEM solutions
Traditional SIEM solutions have been instrumental in helping organizations monitor, detect, and respond to security incidents. By collecting and analyzing log data from various sources, these solutions have provided organizations with a centralized view of their security posture. However, traditional SIEM solutions face numerous challenges, such as:
- Scalability and performance issues when handling ever-increasing volumes of data
- Limited ability to adapt to new threats and attack vectors
- Complex deployment and maintenance processes, resulting in high costs and resource demands
To effectively address new types of attacks and vulnerabilities, such as advanced persistent threats (APTs), insider threats, and sophisticated malware, organizations need to adapt their security strategies.
The rise of cloud-native SIEM
To overcome these challenges, a modern approach to SIEM is required — one that leverages the power and flexibility of the cloud. Cloud-native SIEM solutions have emerged as a strong alternative to traditional SIEM, offering several key features and benefits, such as:
- Scalability — Cloud-native SIEM can easily scale to accommodate growing data volumes, ensuring consistent performance and reducing the need for costly hardware upgrades.
- Flexibility — These solutions can be deployed across various environments, including on-premises, public cloud, hybrid cloud, and SaaS, making them a versatile option for organizations of all sizes.
- Rapid deployment — With cloud-native SIEM, organizations can quickly deploy and configure their SIEM solution without the need for expensive hardware or lengthy implementation processes — including bringing in new, previously-unsupported security log sources.
- Reduced management overhead — Business transformation has pushed many IT functions to the cloud, and cloud-native SIEM is leading the way. IT teams don’t need to load yet another appliance in the data center, and can offload much of the hourly maintenance.
How cloud-native SIEM addresses the limitations of legacy SIEM
Cloud-native SIEM solutions are designed to address the limitations of legacy SIEM by incorporating advanced features such as behavioral analytics, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning (ML) to enhance threat detection, investigation, and response (TDIR) capabilities. These innovations enable cloud-native SIEM to:
- Detect previously unknown threats and anomalies through advanced behavioral analytics
- Automate incident response processes, reducing the time it takes to respond to security incidents
- Continuously adapt to new types of threats and attack vectors, providing comprehensive security coverage
Cloud-native SIEM and behavioral analytics
One of the key differentiators between legacy and cloud-native SIEM solutions is the integration of user and entity behavior analytics (UEBA) and AI/ML technologies. By establishing a baseline of normal behavior for users and devices, cloud-native SIEM can detect and prioritize unusual events and anomalies that may indicate a potential security threat. This advanced approach to threat detection enables organizations to stay ahead of emerging threats and significantly improve their incident response capabilities.
Embracing the cloud-native model
As organizations increasingly shift towards cloud-based infrastructure and SaaS applications, embracing the cloud-native SIEM model becomes essential. By simplifying security operations and providing advanced threat detection capabilities, cloud-native SIEM empowers organizations to effectively protect their valuable assets and data from an ever-growing array of cyberthreats
As organizations continue to face new and evolving threats, it’s crucial to adopt a modern, scalable, and flexible SIEM solution that can effectively address these challenges. Cloud-native SIEM solutions offer many advantages, including improved scalability, flexibility, rapid deployment, and enhanced TDIR capabilities. By integrating advanced features such as behavioral analytics, AI, and ML, cloud-native SIEM empowers organizations to stay ahead of emerging threats and safeguard their valuable assets and data.
As we’ve discussed in this post, the shift towards cloud-native SIEM is a necessary step for organizations looking to strengthen their security posture. By embracing the cloud-native SIEM model, organizations can transform and simplify their security operations, ensuring that they are well-equipped to face modern cybersecurity challenges.
In our next post, we’ll weigh the pros and cons of cloud-native SIEM and traditional SIEM. Stay tuned and subscribe to the Exabeam blog for updates!
To learn more, read the complete The Ultimate Guide to Cloud-Native SIEM
Transition SIEM to the cloud
Today’s security teams face increasing challenges in managing and responding to threats effectively. Cloud-native SIEM presents a powerful solution to simplify and streamline your security operations. Download our comprehensive eBook to uncover how this technology can transform your organization’s security posture.
You’ll gain insights into:
- The evolution of SIEM and the emergence of cloud-native SIEM
- The advantages and potential drawbacks of cloud-native SIEM versus traditional SIEM
- Various hosting models for cloud-native SIEM solutions
- Real-world use cases for cloud-native SIEM deployments
- A step-by-step guide for migrating from an on-premises to cloud-native SIEM
Transitioning to cloud-native SIEM can be a game changer for your security operations. Don’t miss this opportunity to stay ahead of emerging threats and defend your organization’s critical data with greater efficiency and ease.
Exabeam Commences IRAP Assessment Process for New-Scale SIEM™
SIEM License Management — Staying in Control of Ingestion Costs
What’s New in Exabeam Product Development — July 2023
Human Connections in Tech: A Dialogue With Brad Sexton
Generative AI and Top Honors: Highlights from Google Cloud Next ‘23
Defending Against Ransomware: How Exabeam Strengthens Cybersecurity
Subscribe today and we'll send our latest blog posts right to your inbox, so you can stay ahead of the cybercriminals and defend your organization.
See How New-Scale SIEM™ Works
New-Scale SIEM lets you:
• Ingest and monitor data at cloud-scale
• Baseline normal behavior
• Automatically score and profile user activity
• View pre-built incident timelines
• Use playbooks to make the next right decision
Request a demo of the industry’s most powerful platform for threat detection, investigation, and response (TDIR).
Get a demo today!