Building your first insider threat and vulnerability program from the ground up can be daunting, but there are core tenets that help set you up for success. The needs of the business, tools and processes, and hiring all contribute to the success of the program.
On our first episode of The New CISO Podcast: Foundations, Steve Moore speaks with KT Boyle about how he translated his military experience to the private sector, building an insider threat program with just himself at first and how he hires to make sure the team succeeds.
KT and Steve also share strategies to leverage for success including:
- Establishing a steering committee with other business partners like legal and HR
- What IT coordination and critical controls you should have in place
- The benefits of dividing your SOC functions into two buckets: infrastructure/monitoring and risk/individuals
- Where to spend most of your time for the most value
- Why security should only act as a sensor, objectively collecting data and presenting facts without bias
- Recruiting for success: Taking a page out of how the military recruits